Pages

02 January 2012

The Italian Adventure- Vatican City

A little note: I'm actually back home, in America (eeep!) But since I'm a little behind on blogging, I'm going to go ahead and finish up with my travel posts.  Thank you for sticking with me through my terrible blogging!  

Today is part 2 of my Italy trip.  Although Vatican City is technically it's own country- the smallest in the world, it's hard for me to mentally separate it from Rome.  


 St. Peter's Basilica



The Swiss Guard still keep Vatican City safe.  We learned that all of these guys, despite their somewhat jester-like dress, are Swiss war-trained soldiers, with no wives or kids, that are between the ages of 18 and are Catholic themselves.  Pretty hard-core if you ask me.

The inside of the Basilica.  In person, it feels SOOO big.  A picture could never do it justice. 


Fun fact- Only the Pope can celebrate mass under this.




Inside the Vatican Museums... The ceilings were as much of an exhibit as anything!



No pictures inside the Sistine Chapel, so this was as close as I could get.  


We saw the Pope!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you; thank you so much for stopping by :) Leave me a link so I can visit you too!